Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hallelujah

The rains have arrived today. Pune is wet and i am sitting in the aforementioned udupi hotel awaiting my candlelight dinner. Its raining outside and i am typing my blog. Couldnt get better than this, sitting in the dark blogging whilst the general public stands under every available piece of tin roof stunned by the rain. No greater pleasure than knowing that you are not in it. Thats what makes me feel cozy. Whats more i've got an umbrella. umbrella as in 'mere paas gadi hai bangla hai bank balance hai, kya hai tumhare paas?' ---- aaj mere paas umbrella hai. Bad joke. Must be the rain.
This reminds me of the cover of upamanyu chatterjee's novel -- 'English August' a painting of a confused looking young man holding an umbrella. I realise at this moment how similar my life is compared to agastya the main character of that story. Convent educated, away from home, alone, in a different work culture, meeting people that he finds strange and what he thinks of these people. I do find it all too similar. But then that is what makes writers click doesnt it? Characters that people can identify with.
Ok my food has arrived, its steaming and looks delicious. Kindly note that i have called agastya the 'main character' and not the protagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment